Guaranteed Ride Home
What is the Guaranteed Ride Home Program?
It's great to carpool or vanpool to work, but what if something comes up, and you need to leave before or after your regular departure time? Don't worry. RTC SMART TRIPS will give you a ride home from work if you're a participant in the Guaranteed Ride Home (GRH) Program. This program is an incentive provided by RTC to encourage everyone to carpool or vanpool to work without the fear of being stranded.
It Works Like This: You Call, They Come!
You are eligible for GRH if you and your rideshare partners are registered in the program on this website, you live or work in the Truckee Meadows area, and you traveled to work by carpool or vanpool on the day you need a ride home. If you have not already done so and you have logged in to your profile, sign up for the program by going to the 'GRH' link at the top of this page.
Once you've signed up for GRH, here's how to get a ride home:
Just call a taxi or TNC(i.e., Uber, Lyft) and RTC will reimburse you for the trip.
- Pay for your ride home and ask for a receipt.
- Fill out and submit the online reimbursement form; then print out a copy of the form and mail it in with your receipt.
- We will mail you a reimbursement check. (Please see fine print below.)
Guaranteed Ride Home Fine Print
Reimbursement requests without a receipt cannot be honored. Make sure you get a receipt from your transportation provider! Any ineligible trip will not be reimbursed and may jeopardize your future eligibility for the program. (See guidelines below.) The Guaranteed Ride Home Program can be used up to four times a year.
- Participants in carpool and vanpool groups who have registered in the RTC SMART TRIPS GRH program.
- You live or work in the Truckee Meadows area.
- You traveled by carpool or vanpool to work on the day in question.
What Trips are Eligible?
GRH covers unplanned circumstances, such as:
- Personal or family illness.
- An emergency.
- Your carpool or vanpool is unavailable for its usual schedule.
What Trips are not Eligible?
The following situations are not covered by the GRH Program:
- Overtime that was previously scheduled.
- Personal errands.
- Pre-planned medical or dental appointments.
- Business-related travel.
- Injury on the job.
- Regional disasters, such as earthquake or flood.